Wednesday, February 20, 2008

ARE YOU SERIOUS.....

A couple weeks ago Talan had a little rash on his arm. A few days went by and it started spreading to his hand and up his arm. I was never really concerned about it because Kalei never got anything so I figured it wasn't contageous, maybe just a reaction to something he ate. So a week later Justin tells me that I should probably take him to the doctor to get him checked out. So I made an appointment. Justin ended up taking him because I had another dr's appt at the same time.

The doctor walks in and right when he sees it he says "now I know your wife is going to stress out" (he knows me well since they basically have had a room set aside for the YOUNG family the past month). The verdict to the rash is SHINGLES !! The doctor pulls the book out, being that it's rare for kids under the age of 3 to get SHINGLES, and compares the pictures to Talan. Shingles run up a nerve which his did. They started on the top of his hand went to the underside of his arm in a straight line all the way up over his shoulder and down his back. CRAZINESS !! You hear how painful they can be the older you get but they never ever once bugged Tal at all. They didn't itch nothin !! AND... being that Shingles is part of the chicken pox family you have to have received the chicken pox before you can get shingles. Who knows how and when he had the chicken pox. He never once broke out in a rash or little bumps on his body. He doesn't get the chicken pox vaccine until he is 18 months which is in April so, so much for that. The reason why Kalei never got them was because she has had the vaccine.

Let's hope and pray that the baby doesn't fall victim of chicken pox. I guess it takes 21 days for it to pass and show up. Keep your fingers crossed. Here are some pictures. These are a couple weeks after breaking out, but you can still see the line up his arm.



7 comments:

New Mexican Youngs said...

All I can say is atleast it hasen't been painful and hopefully that won't change. When we heard we thought for sure he would be in pain, it is good to hear that that is not the case. And yes, hopefully Naelani will not get any of this, she has enough to worry about.

Malia said...

My Poor Moogy!

Erica said...

Seriously how much can one mom take! Wow hope all is well soon

Melissa said...

Ouch. I am glad it is not the scabies which is what it looked like to me at first. Andy spread that around the family a few months ago. Not fun. I hope he gets feeling better. IT must be your year for sicknesses. Hopefully better times are ahead.

KellyDiane said...

Gosh, that's crazy!!!! I hope everyone is doing okay. You've had a busy month...yuck!

Suzy Cummard said...

That is so sad... ALONG with every thing else!! MY GOODNESS, there is so much crud going around this year!

I hope your fam stays healthy for awhile!

AND- I think your baby is one of the cutest babyies I have ever seen-no joke! If I wasn't baby hungry before... I AM NOW!!.. She only made it worde! *wink!

Unknown said...

I can't believe I've never seen your 2 youngest kids. They're SOOO cute. Talan's going to get all the chicks in nursery for sure. So Nic's brother is on a mission in Hawaii and just baptized a girl named Kalei the other day and it made me think of you guys. Hope you're doing well. I'm wishing I was in Arizona right now. I need sun!